So the other day Jenny and I went to Isla Negra for a nice little day trip. Isla Negra is on the Chilean coast, about an hour and a half from Santiago by bus. Surprisingly enough, it is not an island, but it is where Pablo Neruda established his main residence. (Everything Pablo Neruda is like the main tourist attraction in Chile, so far I've been to 2 of his 3 houses. The last is right near my apartment in Santiago so I'm in no hurry) The Chilean bus system is pretty funny to me, they pick you up at the station, but then on the way there they drop you off wherever the hell you want. Efficient? No. But it is a kind thing to do. For Jen and I there wasn't much of an option; Isla Negra is about one street long with 5 restaurants and a couple shops. It had a really cool small-beach-town feel. Either way, we went on a little tour of the house, which was cool although I like his house in Valparaiso better. He has a great view, its right on the ocean, and again he had tons of items that he had collected from all over the world adorning the walls, ceilings, etc...Afterwards we had lunch and hung out on the beach but it was windy and cold so we didn't stay long. Overall a very nice day.
Heres a picture of his house:

He was obsessed with the ocean, but they told us he was also scared of it..

From inside...he had lots of things like ships in bottles, maps, the figures that go on the front of ships (the name eludes me right now)

The view...This is from a little patio in the back where him and his wife are also buried.
I apologize for the picture quality, I forgot my camera that day!

The man himself...That big-bosomed woman behind him is actually a figure in his Isla Negra home, and is still there today. I forget her history but the tour guide told us. Also, Pablo Neruda managed to make that face and wear that hat in just about every picture. Its the ol' Pablo Neruda pose.
No comments:
Post a Comment