The Chilean school year is coming to an end! The 22nd of December marks el ultimo dia of school and then I get a little break until January 3rd or so when we begin preparations for our trip to the south/middle of Chile for a week of a farm in Chillan. In light of all the fun upcoming stuff these kids are still getting spoiled like crazy.
On Friday we went to the pool for the afternoon, where the "Worker's Hospital" set up snacks and presents for the kids after an afternoon spent swimming. It was a big media outreach event. I even got interviewed and showed my compassion and interest by saying something along the lines of: "My name is Dominic. I am a volunteer. I am from New Jersey. Today went well. The kids had fun." Above is Javiera being interviewed.
KEwl KiDS on the bus:
ME aNd mY FrIeNdS! No but seriously I hung out in the baby pool for a good while; when I first got there the lifeguard said something to me that I didn't understand so I nodded and lot and assumed he wanted me to watch the little ones. Afterwards I went into the big pool.
dEEp in THouGhT w/ Maxi about the finer things in like AKA hot dogsIt was really nice the people who set this up called up each child and had a really nice present for them, since they probably don't get much for Christmas at home. They also get all the candy they could ever eat, a new backpack, and a sweet towel - Daddy Yankee (for the boys) or Disney Princess (for the girls)- Everyone left really happy.
Not even a week later (today Tuesday Dec. 14th) more people came in with presents. I don't have pictures but each kid was called up again and given a brand-new pair of shoes. These kids are raking it in. Either way they are really happy about it and it's nice to see them getting presents despite whatever situation they may face at home. It also means a lot of hot dogs for me.
In other news, my sister Larissa is coming on Dec. 20th so that should be fun. With her coming, and break coming up, I should be able to do a lot more travelling and have some sweet pics/adventures to write about.
Chau.


No comments:
Post a Comment