Sorry for the late posts, unlike my competitors I actually work a full day so its hard to constantly post! Anyway, a lot has been happening here:
First and foremost, there was a TEMBLOR! I was sitting at home drinking some wine when all of the sudden it felt like the whole couch was on vibrate for like 4 seconds. It was really surreal and I wasn't sure it absolutely happened but then I looked at my wine glass (which was on the table, not in my hand thank you) and it was shaking. Later my roommate looked it up and apparently there was a small earthquake (5.8 on the Richter) far away and the vibrations could be felt in Santiago.
As you all know, the miners were freed recently! It was a huge event here, my co-worker at school told me she cried when the first one was let out. I really hope that they all stay silent long enough to compile a book, but there's so much money being thrown at them that I feel like it will never happen. They are getting hooked up in other ways though as it is, soccer clubs from all over the world like Barcelona, Boca in Argentina, Manchester United, etc... Also, a Chilean millionaire gave them each $10,000 because of what they had been through. Unfortunately a lot of them are slipping into depression already but we'll see how it goes.
On a lighter note it was awesome when they were freed, everyone was yelling out their windows, people were in the street, and everyone was waving flags and honking. This was all at like 1 am too which was funny. I walked home that night and there were little kids who should have absolutely been in bed but were in the street celebrating with their parents. I get the feeling it was a day Chileans will remember for a long time.
Some TV images:


JEn AND i oN the BaLcOnY!

In other news, here is a picture of my apartment building, and where the VE Global office is. I'm on floor 15 and the VE office is on the 4th floor:
Claro is a chilean phone company for those of you who are wonderingAlso here are a couple pictures of my institution after school center called Mi Club Domingo Savio:
Tables set up for oragami; the pictures were taken on a day that people from Oracle came to fix the computers, I think it was part of thier corporate outreach, either way it was a lot of fun. P.S. the littlest kids LOVE that pool in the back, the play in it all the time. And I sleep in it occasionally.
Paintings on the wall; there's one of a dinosaur but I already posted a dinosaur picture
What I like to call the quad
Thats about it for now, I'll post later about Oracle day, and some more stuff. This weekend is our Jornada, its like a group retreat for all our volunteers. I'll let you know how it goes!
Love,
Dom
No comments:
Post a Comment